Sibling Rivalry
Retold by Chaney (From the Perspective of Esau)
I used to ask mother where my name came from. Esau, your name came from when we first saw you. You were covered in red hair. Esau means hairy in Hebrew. She always answered the same thing. I’ve memorized it by now. If I was really feeling curious I would ask where Jacob’s name came from.
Jacob’s name came from a Hebrew word. Jacob means holder of the heel. Right as your dad and I saw him, he was holding on to your heel. Mother always answered that one word for word.
Jacob’s name came from a Hebrew word. Jacob means holder of the heel. Right as your dad and I saw him, he was holding on to your heel. Mother always answered that one word for word.
[Later in the story...]
When I got home from hunting, I put down the two deer that I had caught. I walked into father’s tent.
Hello father. I am ready for the blessing.
Who are you?! Father bellowed. Remember, I already gave you the blessing!
You did what?!
You did what?!
Is it really you, Esau? Father asked in a less frantic voice.
Yes it is me. Wait! If you already blessed someone, and it wasn’t me, who was it?
There was silence.
I don’t know, Father stammered.
We thought for a long time. Suddenly it hit me like a rock to my stomach. Jacob! ... My life is ruined!
Can you take your blessing back? I asked with all the hope I had in my voice.
No son, that blessing can never be taken away once it has been given, Father said in the saddest voice you can ever hear from an old, gray man.
I felt my insides boil. I was like a volcano. I was erupting. The lava was spitting and sputtering out.
I stormed out of the tent. I vow to kill that terrible Jacob!
[In the first part of the story, Joseph is imprisoned, meets another prisoner named Elliot, and interprets Elliot's dreams. They become friends, but then Elliot disappears.]
I spent the next week looking everywhere for Elliot, but I never found him. Sometimes, I just sat alone and called his name. I was a wilted flower. I was alone now. The world was mute. It was as if a blanket of silence had fallen on top of me.
I felt as if my faith and belief were being drained from me. Everything my father had taught me to be: reverent, brave, strong. I could no longer feel, only think and observe. I was famished. Famished for sound. Sitting alone. Crying alone.
Blinded by my tears, I was in the corner I had now chosen to live in. I was waking up slowly when I was hit with a bright light. Salvation. It fell from the sky like an angel. I was crying, but I was no longer alone. Four tall men walked in. One waltzed into the corner with two men flanked behind him. The fourth man found me. He gave me this huge wide smile. Only one man I knew could give a smile like that. Elliot
Hey old friend. One good turn deserves another, Elliot announced. I know someone who needs the same help I did. He also had a dream.
I sighed.
This is the Pharaoh of Egypt, Elliot finally ended.
... When I shook the Pharaoh’s hand I could feel it. A new beginning, a new sunrise.
Now all I need is my robe.
I felt my insides boil. I was like a volcano. I was erupting. The lava was spitting and sputtering out.
I stormed out of the tent. I vow to kill that terrible Jacob!
Joseph's Robe
Retold by Henry (From the Perspective of Joseph)
[In the first part of the story, Joseph is imprisoned, meets another prisoner named Elliot, and interprets Elliot's dreams. They become friends, but then Elliot disappears.]
I spent the next week looking everywhere for Elliot, but I never found him. Sometimes, I just sat alone and called his name. I was a wilted flower. I was alone now. The world was mute. It was as if a blanket of silence had fallen on top of me.
I felt as if my faith and belief were being drained from me. Everything my father had taught me to be: reverent, brave, strong. I could no longer feel, only think and observe. I was famished. Famished for sound. Sitting alone. Crying alone.
Blinded by my tears, I was in the corner I had now chosen to live in. I was waking up slowly when I was hit with a bright light. Salvation. It fell from the sky like an angel. I was crying, but I was no longer alone. Four tall men walked in. One waltzed into the corner with two men flanked behind him. The fourth man found me. He gave me this huge wide smile. Only one man I knew could give a smile like that. Elliot
Hey old friend. One good turn deserves another, Elliot announced. I know someone who needs the same help I did. He also had a dream.
I sighed.
This is the Pharaoh of Egypt, Elliot finally ended.
... When I shook the Pharaoh’s hand I could feel it. A new beginning, a new sunrise.
Now all I need is my robe.




No comments:
Post a Comment