Hello Students -- I hope that your week is going well. It has been fun to re-connect with you this week (I loved the Advisory game of Family!).
For March 25 and 26, please do the following...
1. Participate in the live Zoom meeting for your class. The link to the meeting is posted in Veracross.
2. Review the characteristics of Gothic architecture, here.
3. Read this entire blog post. I think you will be impressed with the local buildings that your classmates selected as exemplars of architectural excellence.
4. Answer the questions posted here.
----------
Architecture That Inspires Us
Earlier this week, I asked you to provide examples of buildings and structures that you admire and to describe the reasons you like them.
Here are photographs of some of the places that you selected, along with your descriptions:
"I like the grassy area for watching the game, and all the cool angles."
"I like the way they made the front area with the gate."
"I like the way the architecture of our school is so well-organized. It's awesome!"
"There are lots of windows, and you can see beautiful sunrises and sunsets."
"The YMCA building looks really modern, with lots of windows and a cool slanted roof."
"The Zion Union Baptist Church is not a very well known building, but I live near it. It has a triangular outline with a huge cross in front of the building. I think it one of the most grand small structures in Charlottesville."
"The Zion Union Baptist Church is not a very well known building, but I live near it. It has a triangular outline with a huge cross in front of the building. I think it one of the most grand small structures in Charlottesville."
"I like how the top of the building has the little dome thing above the triangle roof, and I like the circular windows on the sides of the dome. The different and classical look of Monticello give this house a very nice design."
----------
Comparing Gothic and Romanesque Styles
During today's live Zoom class, we started to discuss the differences between Romanesque and Gothic architecture.
----------
Comparing Gothic and Romanesque Styles
During today's live Zoom class, we started to discuss the differences between Romanesque and Gothic architecture.
Here's a Romanesque church
We learned that Romanesque churches tend to be short, with thick walls and few windows. The arches are rounded, and the inside space tends to be confined and a bit dark.
Another Romanesque church. This one has a rose window, but it's fairly close to the ground.
Gothic architecture, on the other hand, emphasizes height and light.
The arches are pointed, and tall spires soar toward the sky. Flying buttresses enabled architects to build much larger windows, many of which were fitted with stained glass.
Notice the spires reaching upwards...
Now that's a serious wall of glass!












No comments:
Post a Comment