Saturday, February 8, 2020

The Artist's Evolving Feelings Towards the Cat


I asked the students to consider whether the artist felt more happy or frustrated with the housekeeper's decision to purchase the cat.

Here are some of the thoughtful responses:

Alex B.: I think the artist was not happy at first because he thought the cat was a waste of money. "A cat? A cat?" he cried. "Have you gone mad? He we are starving, and you must bring a goblin, a goblin to share the little we have and perhaps to suck our blood."

Later, he liked the cat. "Oh, a three-colored cat" said the artist. "Why didn't you say so from the beginning? They are very lucky, I understand."

Kate R.: At the start, the artist is more frustrated by the cat, because after the housekeeper mentions the reason for getting the cat, he says "You have brought us home nothing to eat," showing that he only wants food.

After he finds out the cat is three-colored, he starts to change his mind.

Pete: At first the artist was frustrated with the decision because he thought it was a waste of money to take care of the cat. That changed when the artist realized how great and loyal the cat was.

Durland: I think the cat is more happy now because he says "I am ashamed when I think that I called such a cat a goblin." Also, he seems to really like Good Fortune because he thinks she is beautiful, intelligent and very special. Plus, the artist knows that she's not a normal cat.


We also discussed Good Fortune's behaviors that demonstrate her compassion and kindness...

Stuart and Daniel: She lets the captured bird go, which most cats wouldn't do ("Good Fortune hesitated and then slowly, slowly lifted one white paw and then another from the sparrow.")

Davis O., Hunter and Jacob: She bows her head to the artist ("As soon as the little cat heard him speak so kindly, she walked over to him and bowed down her head as though she were saluting him.")

Ellie and Molly: She only eats half of her meal, because she does not want to be a burden to the artist and the housekeeper ("It was as though she kept the rest for the next day, wishing to be no more of a burden than she could help.")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lesson for May 21 and 22: Islamic and Buddhist Art

For May 21 and 22, please do the following: 1. Watch my introductory comments below. 2. Watch two videos about Islamic art ( here and here...